About Wigerus Vitringa
Leeuwarden 1657 – 1725 Wirdum (Leeuwarden)
Marine painter and draughtsman. Lawyer.
Member of an intellectual and artistic family in Leeuwarden, capital of Friesland, the northernmost part of the Netherlands.
Vitringa studied law, but was soon also active as a marine painter.
It is unknown whom he studied with : he might have been a pupil of Richard Brakenburg, in his turn a pupil of Adriaen van Ostade, who moved from Haarlem to Leeuwarden in 1670.
Because Friesland was too far from the important Dutch towns, which were all in the centre and the South of the country, Vitringa moved to Alkmaar, closer to Amsterdam, Hoorn and Enkhuizen.
He remained in Alkmaar from 1692 (or earlier) until 1706. He was inscribed in the local Painters Guild from 1696 onwards. He was never mentioned here as a lawyer.
There are very few dated paintings and drawings from after 1706, because Vitringa gradually lost sight and had a weak health.
Circa 1708 he returned to Leeuwarden.
Ludolf Backhuysen (1630 – 1708) was the most important painter in Holland during the last quarter of the 17th century after Willem van de Velde II left for England in 1673. He exercised a big influence on Vitringa, as he did on so many other marine painters, such as Pieter Coopse, Gerrit Pompe, Jan Rietschoof, Hendrick Dubbels, Aernout Smit and Abraham Storck.
Vitringa might have studied in the workshop of Backhuysen. But as he must have done this at a more mature age, his style remained for a great deal personal, clearly recognizable.
During his stay in Alkmaar Vitringa worked for the Backhuysen workshop; a fair number of his paintings bear the “LB”-monogram.
Typical of the Alkmaar years are the strong cast shadows, the division of dark and light waves, and ships crossing each other.
Circa 1700 his style became more decorative : he included Italianate motifs, elegant figures in the foreground on the quayside and playful yachts.
About the Apollo Belvedere
The Apollo Belvedere was found at the end of the 15th century in the ruins of a rich Roman villa near Anzio (Roman Antium), some 50 km S of Rome. This Roman marble sculpture of 2m24 high dates from the reign of Emperor Hadrian (circa 120/140 AD). It was a copy of a Greek original made of bronze by the Athenian sculptor Leochares circa 350/325 BC.
The statue was owned by Pope Julius II, already before he became Pope. He had it installed at the Vatican in the sculpture court of the small summer house, called the Belvedere, hence its name.
Soon the sculpture became an icon of classical Roman art and numerous engravings were made of it.
Why should you buy this painting?
Because it is such a charming scene against the warm, glowing light of an Italian sunset.
Because Vitringa’s Italianate scenes are rare and usually not of such a good quality.
Because it is fully signed.